
During the Beijing Olympics the Chinese government made it a lot harder to get a good visa. Before that I had a 6 month multiple entry visa, where I could stay as long as I wanted each visit. When it expired in October I was in Singapore doing a two month internship, so I had to apply for a new one from there. The new process was a lot harder and took over a month. I had to get invitation letters from the Shanghai Municipal Government, the company I do part-time work for in Shanghai, and a whole bunch of other shit. When I eventually got the new visa, it was a 6 month multiple entry one, but I could only stay 30 days per visit. Fuck.
A couple of days ago I was whining about the situation to my teacher. He later said that he had talked to one of his colleagues about it. This colleague said that the situation was better now and that she could arrange a 1 year multiple entry visa, unlimited stay. Score. So yesterday I brought my passport and two pictures to school (plus a fuck load of cash, this wasn't free).
I go over to the reception desk where my teacher and his colleague are standing and hand the goodness over.
(Conversation in Chinese)
Me: Here is my passport and two pictures.
Girl colleague: Ooh, let me see your picture!
She giggles and says: You look fat in the picture!
Teacher: Yeah, you look better on the picture! Don't you agree?
She, beaming: Yes, definitely better.
Me: eh, THANKS...
I took those pictures like two weeks ago, it's not like I have lost weight. I'm 1.86m and 70kg, I don't think I have ever looked fat. I'm like a God towering over them, I should have flicked those mortals away with my not-so-fat-anymore hand...
Actually I don't mind it at all, I've gotten so used to the directness of the Chinese that I barely notice it anymore. It still cracks me up though.
Final summation: Chinese are going to comment on your appearance, change or no change. But don't take it personally!
No comments:
Post a Comment